Now, I’m not one to toot my own horn, but TOOT TOOT this recipe is off the hook!!! Moist, flavorful, organic chicken glazed in balsamic and maple surrounded by bright carrots and earthy mushrooms. OH, BABY!
When I first started cooking, I found roasting a whole chicken to be wayyyy too intimidating, but it turns out that it’s actually no biggie. A little rinse, a little pat, and a lot of salt and butter is all you really need for a juicy, flavorful, tender chicken. Stuffing the bird with lemon slices infuses it with flavor and moisture, and the high oven temp ensures a crisp skin.
Roasting is one of my favorite cooking methods. It makes your house smell amazing, it requires very little preparation, and it is pretty straight-forward and foolproof. I usually make roasted chicken at least a few times a month, because I save the bones to use for homemade stock. I decided to dress this favorite up with a simple glaze of maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. As you baste the chicken with this liquid gold, it drips onto the pan and caramelizes the vegetables. The best part about this one pot meal is that it’s simple enough for a weeknight but fancy enough for a dinner party.
- 3 -3.5lb organic whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 10 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 lemon, cut in two
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 1/2 tsp for chicken and 1 tsp for vegetables
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, 1 tsp for chicken and 1/2 tsp for vegetables
- 8 whole carrots, peeled
- 1 large onion, cut into large slivers
- 8 0z. button mushrooms, kept whole or halved depending on size
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse chicken with water, including the cavity, and pat dry.
- Run fingers between breast meat and skin to loosen skin. If you don’t have enough, or any, softened butter (like me), just stuff small chunks of cold butter under skin.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of softened butter underneath skin.
- Spread the other tablespoon of butter on top of skin.
- Season all sides and interior of chicken with salt, pepper and sage.
- Stuff the cavity with 4 whole garlic cloves and two lemon slices.
- Tuck wings underneath bird’s back and tie legs with kitchen twine.
- Place chicken onto lightly greased roasting pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine carrots, onions, mushrooms and remaining garlic cloves.
- Add olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Toss in bowl to combine.
- Arrange vegetables around chicken in the roasting pan.
- Place in oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine maple syrup and balsamic vinegar.
- Baste chicken with maple/balsamic mixture every 20 minutes or so.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.